Makes 8 thick slices – 4.5 syns per slice, or slice into 10 for 3.5 syn per slice
- 3 eggs
- 75g caster sugar – 15 syns
- 75g self raising flour – 12 syns
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 200g oranges, peeled and sliced into half cm slices – 4 syns
- 2 tablespoons no added sugar fine cut orange marmalade – 3 syns
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan and line a 1lb loaf tin with baking paper or a cake liner.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs, orange extract and sugar until pale and fluffy and almost 3 times in volume (takes anywhere from 5 – 10 minutes so we advise using an electric whisk).
- Carefully fold in the finely grated zest of the oranges and sieve the flour and baking powder a little at a time into the beaten egg mixture and fold in carefully with a metal spoon, keep doing this in little bits to prevent lumps and knocking out too much air.
- Place the orange slices along the bottom of the loaf tin. Slightly warm the marmalade in the microwave so it is runny and pour over the orange slices.
- Pour the cake batter over the top of the orange slices and even the surface.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin.
- Tip the cake out upside down and transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.
This cake stores in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Each slice can also be individually wrapped in cling film and frozen, defrost fully before consuming.