This Skinny Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all the flavors of a homemade chicken pot pie without the crust! It’s fully loaded with veggies, tender chunks of chicken, and seasoned with fresh herbs. This soup is easy to make and so flavorful, it’s sure to be a family favorite!
PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME38 minutes
TOTAL TIME48 minutes
- 3 Tbsp light butter, divided. I use Land o’ Lakes light butter made with canola oil
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken (without skin) or cooked chicken shredded or cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups small gold or Yukon potatoes, chopped into ½” inch pieces
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fat free half and half or unsweetened almond milk or skim milk. I use land o lakes fat free half as half for more creaminess
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen peas, not thawed
- Melt 1 Tbsp light butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add the additional 2 Tbsp of light butter. Whisk in the flour cooking and cook for 2 minutes stirring continuously.
- Slowly add chicken broth while whisking.
- Add potatoes, bay leaf, bouillon, salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Simmer until the potatoes are tender; about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch with half and half or the milk of your choice until smooth. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the pot.
- Bring the soup to a simmer. Add peas and continue stirring frequently and let it simmer for 5-8 minutes or until soup thickens. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf. Note: the soup will also thicken as it cools.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme leaves, if desired.
- Serve with homemade or store bought biscuits, for additional points.
Servings: Makes 10 ( 1 cup) servings
2-5 PersonalPoints* per serving
- You can either prep this before cooking or after cooking. Freeze up to 4-6 months.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days