These Skinny Red Velvet Cupcakes are what cupcake dreams are made of! These are light, airy, and perfectly sweet. Topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting that takes these cupcakes to the next level of deliciousness! These will be devoured!!
PREP TIME5 minutes
COOK TIME18 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME10 minutes
TOTAL TIME33 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp red food coloring
- 1/4 cup Land O’ Lakes light butter made with canola oil -be sure to use a light butter not margarine
- 1 cup Lakanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener (zero point white granulated sugar substitute)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk or skim milk mixed with 1 Tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar, room temperature
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS
- 4 oz. reduced fat or light cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp skim milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar substitute or regular powdered sugar*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners- a total of 15 liners.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder and baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together the light butter and monk fruit sweetener until fluffy, then add the eggs-one at a time.
- Whisk in the low fat buttermilk, red food coloring, and vanilla. Whisk until all ingredients are well combined.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until JUST combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into each prepared cupcake liner -about half way.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-5 minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Let the cupcakes cool for at least 10 minutes on cooling rack before frosting.
- Use about 2 tablespoons per cupcake to frost the top of each cupcake and smooth with a knife or transfer cream cheese frosting to a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes. (I like the Wilton #12 tip for these cupcakes)
- Garnish each cupcake with a sprinkles.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer or a stand mixer bowl, mix the milk and cream cheese together until thoroughly mixed and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Add powdered sugar and stir until incorporated, gradually increase the mixer speed and beat until smooth & fluffy.
- Nutrtional Information includes frosting with powdered sugar substitute: 80 calories, 2 grams of fat, 3 protein without frosting per serving.