prep time: 30 MINS
cook time: 15 MINS
total time: 45 MINS
These tasty vegetarian Black Bean Taquitos can be made right at home in your oven or air fryer!
yield: 16 TAQUITOS
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 (15 oz each) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ cup salsa, (choose a smoother, more liquid-y type over a chunky variety)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 16 (6-inch) corn tortillas, I use Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas
- In a medium saucepan, add the onion, black beans, garlic, water, salsa, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper and stir together. Place on the stovetop over medium heat until bubbling. Reduce the heat to med-low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice. Using a potato masher, mash about half of the black bean mixture, leaving some beans whole. Set aside to cool for five minutes.
- If Baking: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and mist the foil with cooking spray.
- Wet two paper towels and gently squeeze out some of the excess water, leaving them damp. Place one on a microwave safe plate. Put four of the tortillas on the paper towel and cover with the other damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 30-60 seconds until the tortillas are warm and pliable. Transfer one tortilla to a clean, dry surface and leave the rest covered. Scoop three tablespoons of the black bean mixture from step one onto the tortilla, forming a line of filling down the center. Roll the tortilla over the filling to make a filled tube. Place the rolled taquito back between the damp paper towels with the other waiting tortillas until ready to bake or air fry. Remove another tortilla and repeat the filling and rolling process with the remaining warm tortillas. Then heat up more tortillas between wet paper towels and do it again until you have 16 taquitos. Keep your rolled taquitos between a set of damp paper towels until you’re ready to transfer them to the oven or air fryer*.*I can bake all 16 on a baking sheet if using the oven, but I usually do them in batches of 4-6 if using my air fryer.
- If Baking: Place the rolled taquitos, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet and mist the tops with cooking spray. Place in the heated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until crispy.If Air Frying: In batches that fit in a single layer in your air fryer, leaving room for air to circulate, place the rolled taquitos, seam side down, in the basket of your air fryer and mist the tops with cooking spray. Cook at 370 degrees for 12 minutes until crispy. Repeat with remaining batches.
To view your WW Points for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
WW Points: 1 per taquito (Points calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Nutrition Information per taquito:
95 calories, 18 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 4 g protein, 4 g fiber, 230 mg sodium (from myfitnesspal.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
2 per taquito (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below