Light and easy, these WW-friendly pizzelle cookie cannolis sub low calorie vanilla pizzelle cookies for the classic fried cannoli shell. Creamy ricotta dotted with dark chocolate and orange zest make the best filling ever.
REP TIME 20 MINS
COOK TIME 5 MINS
RESTING TIME 1 HR
TOTAL TIME 1 HR 25 MINS
Servings (adjustable):4 Calories: 151
- 9 tablespoons part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup lite whipped topping (Cool Whip or Tru-Whip)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon grated orange zest (I used 1 drop orange essential oil instead)
- 1/2 ounce dark chocolate, finely chopped (I used orange infused dark chocolate)
- 4 3- to 4-inch pizzelle cookies
- Line a mesh strainer with a paper coffee filter or piece of cheesecloth and place it over a small bowl. Add the ricotta. Cover with plastic wrap and top with a heavy can. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to drain excess liquid. Discard the liquid.
- To make the filling, in a small bowl, combine the drained ricotta, whipped topping, confectioners sugar, vanilla and orange zest until blended. Gently stir in the finely chopped chocolate and set aside.
- To make the shells, microwave the pizzelle cookies, one at a time, on a paper plate for 20-30 seconds. Immediately remove warm cookie and wrap it around a utensil handle (such as a wooden spoon) to form a shell (or carefully shape shells with your hands). Let cool.
- Spoon or pipe 2 tablespoons of the ricotta filling into each cookie shell and serve immediately so they don’t get soggy.
Note: The cannoli filling can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Assemble just before serving to prevent them from getting soggy.Serving size: 1 Pizzelle Cookie CannoliWeight Watchers PointsPlus: *4Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints: *4
Nutrition Facts WW Pizzelle Cookie CannolisAmount
Per Serving (1 cookie cannoli)Calories 151Calories from Fat 54% Daily Value*Fat 6g9%Carbohydrates 16g5%Fiber 0g0%Protein 5g10%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.