Instant Pot Refried Beans RecipePrep Time10 minsCook Time50 minsNatural Release15 minsTotal Time1 hr Make your own homemade refried beans from scratch with a quick and easy recipe that brings a popular Mexican side dish to your table in no time. So simple and so flavorful, you’ll never reach for the canned version again!Servings: servingsCalories: 226 kcalIngredients
- 1 lb dried pinto beans (rinsed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced)
- 5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot to saute function. When pot is hot, add oil, onion, garlic, and jalapenos. Cook, stirring regularly until onions begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off, and add in remaining ingredients. Mix well. Seal pot with the lid, and cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 15 minutes. Then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Ladle out about 1 cup of excess liquid and reserve. Drain beans into a colander, and discard any remaining liquid.
- Transfer beans back to Instant Pot, and using an immersion blender, puree beans slowly and gradually adding the reserved cooking liquid until desired consistency is reached. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about ¾ cup
Each serving = 1 Point*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle valueNutrition FactsInstant Pot Refried Beans RecipeAmount Per ServingCalories 226Calories from Fat 23% Daily Value*Total Fat 2.6g4%Saturated Fat 0.4g2%Sodium 641mg27%Potassium 994mg28%Total Carbohydrates 38.7g13%Dietary Fiber 9.3g37%Sugars 2.9gProtein 14g28%Calcium6%Iron20%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.