These Easy Smashed Potatoes are fluffy and tender on the inside, crispy on the outside, and make for the perfect side dish or appetizer!
PREP TIME5 minutes
COOK TIME40 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME5 minutes
TOTAL TIME50 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb small red or baby Dutch or Yukon potatoes
- 1 Tbsp salt, for boiling
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp light butter- I use Land O’Lakes light butter made with canola oil
- 3 cloves or 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning, optional
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings or garnish: chopped chives, parsley, or green onions
- In a large pot, bring water and salt to a boil, add potatoes and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry if needed so that the olive oil will stick to the skin.
- Put olive oil into a large bowl, add kosher salt and pepper to taste and add potatoes. Toss gently to coat
- Place potatoes on the prepared baking sheet.
- Use the bottom of a glass or a potato masher to smash potatoes-breaking the skin and exposing the centers, but keeping the potato in a whole piece. ( 1/2 inch thick or for crisper potatoes, smash them thinner.)
- Let the potatoes steam dry ( let the potatoes sit which allows the moisture to release) for 2-5 minutes-this will make them nice and crispy.
- In a small microwavable bowl, melt the butter. Add the minced garlic, and Old Bay seasoning, if using. Mix until well combined.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each potato with the butter mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh chives, parsley, or green onions.
1-2 Smartpoints Per serving
Makes 6 (4 oz. or about 3 potatoes) servings