- 6 medium or 2 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp Land o’ Lakes light butter made with canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups or 32 oz. Low sodium chicken
- 2 cups skim milk or unsweetened almond milk (I use skim milk)
- 1 cup fat free or light cheddar cheese – I use Velveeta shreds or Trader Joe’s life 3 cheese blend
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Optional toppings: cooked bacon pieces, cheddar cheese, green onion, and/or non fat sour cream. Add additional salt and pepper, to taste
- In a dutch oven or large pot melt butter and add diced onion to the pot. Sauté until onions become soft and clear.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Then add diced peeled potatoes, chicken broth, skim or unsweetened almond milk, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Bring to soup to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to low and remove 5 cups of the soup.
- Divide the 5 cups into 2 servings. Blend each serving in a food processor/blender ( I use Ninja Food Processor or blender)-until puréed. ( IMPORTANT: be sure to hold the lid tightly and with a hand towel to avoid getting splashed with the hot soup.)
- Repeat step for the other serving.
- Pour puréed soup back into dutch oven or pot. Stir in light cheese and continue stirring until cheese has melted.
- Top with your favorite toppings such as: cooked bacon pieces, cheddar cheese, green onion, and/or non fat sour cream for additional points.
Makes 8 ( 1 and 1/3 cup) servings
4 Points® per serving Source: pounddropper.com