prep time: 25 MINS
cook time: 40 MINS
total time: 1 HR 5 MINS
This Bubble Up Swedish Meatball Casserole combines meatballs and savory gravy with fluffy biscuits for a tasty dinner!
yield: 6 SERVINGS
- 1 lb ground turkey breast, ground chicken breast would work too
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons skim milk
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of 98% fat free condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 cup jarred beef gravy, I used Heinz Savory Beef Gravy
- 1 7.5 oz can of refrigerated biscuit dough, biscuits cut into quarters (I used Wegmans brand, Pillsbury also makes them in a 4-pack – if you can only find Grands, weigh out 7.5 ounces and cut them into small bite-sized pieces)
- ¾ cup (3 oz by weight) 2% reduced fat shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey breast with the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic powder, egg, egg white and milk and stir together (or mush with your hands) until mixed. Roll the mixture into about 60 meatballs (roughly 1” diameter).
- Heat a tablespoon (or 1 ½ teaspoons if you’re cooking the meatballs in 2 batches) of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the rolled meatballs into the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meatballs are browned on all sides and cooked through. Remove the meatballs to your prepared casserole dish.
- Place the remaining teaspoon of oil in the same skillet and bring to medium heat. Add the diced onion and the sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until the onions are softened and translucent and the mushrooms are softened. Add these vegetables to the meatballs in the casserole dish.
- Mix the cream of mushroom soup and the beef gravy together in a mixing bowl and pour over the top of the ingredients in the casserole dish. Use a spoon to mix everything together. Add the pieces of biscuit dough and stir to coat. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the shredded Mozzarella over the top of the casserole. Bake for an additional 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.
To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, !
338 calories, 33 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 10 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 31 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/6th of the recipe) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 9 SmartPoints/ Blue: 7 SmartPoints/ Purple: 7 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers PointsPlus:
9 per serving (PP calculated using the nutrition information below run through a PointsPlus calculator)
author: EMILY BITES
course: MAIN COURSE
keyword: BUBBLE UP CASSEROLE, MEATBALL BAKE, WEIGHT WATCHERS, WW CASSEROLE