2 Freestyle Points 112 Calories For Blue Program, 3 Point for Green and Purple Programs.
PREP TIME:20 mins | COOK TIME:25 mins | TOTAL TIME:45 mins | YIELD:10SERVINGS | COURSE:Dinner | CUISINE:Mexican
These taco empanadas are made from scratch with my ground turkey taco recipe and my quick and easy pizza dough recipe!
- 1/2 pound 93% ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 ounces canned tomato sauce, 1/4 can
- 5 tbsp part-skim shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup 5 oz unbleached all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, use less if using table salt
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt, use Stonyfield or Fage, not regular yogurt, not Chobani, it will be too sticky
- 1 whole egg, beaten
For the meat:
- Brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well.
- Add the onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce and cover.
- Simmer on low for about 15 minutes, uncover and simmer until dry, about 8 to 12 minutes. You don’t want any liquid remaining, it will make the dough soggy.
For the dough:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Place on a floured work surface and roll the dough out until it’s very thin. Cut circles about 4-3/4 inches (I used a small work bowl turned upside down) cut out as many rounds as you can.
- With the remaining dough, roll out and form into more rounds. I got 10 altogether.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture on each round topped with 1/2 tablespoon cheese.
- Brush the edges with egg wash then fold the edge over and crimp with a fork.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and brush the tops with egg wash.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 22 minutes, or until golden
Serving: 1empanada, Calories: 112kcal, Carbohydrates: 11.5g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 36.5mg, Sodium: 254mg, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugar: 1.5gFreestyle Points:2Points: +3